Saturday, March 20, 2010

your favorite baby and toddler books?

I have the opportunity to buy a baby gift for an expecting friend, and naturally I want to buy books. A big basket of magical books that I'd like to give to every baby, you know what I mean?


The basket will need to include a volume of Mother Goose. My children and I especially liked this one, edited by Iona Opie and illustrated by Rosemary Wells, which sends me into a little reverie of nostalgia just looking at the cover.













And I think a Tana Hoban title or two is in order.







But I'd love to hear from you if you work with babies and toddlers, or are parenting them, or just remember your family's best books from that stage.

What book would you put in the basket?

8 comments:

  1. I'm so bad at remembering books, I'll have to wait until I'm at school, pawing through the shelves to make more suggestions.

    I love "Go, Dog, Go!" by PD Eastman. I also like "10 Apples Up On Top."

    "I'm Mighty!" "I Stink!" and "I'm Bad!" are all brilliant read-aloud books with exciting illustrations by Kate and Jim McMullen.

    "Storm Boy" and "Frog Girl" by Paul Owen Lewis are also terrific, >500 word masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a series that isn't a lot of fun to read- but the babies and toddler loves them! Usbourne - "That's not my....." series. Any infant / toddler library needs at least one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite are the Spot board books. I love how they promote language by having little words they children can try to say hidden behind the flaps. It is all in the presentation:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these suggestions! Thank you--I'm off to do some book buyin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just subjected some new parents to a gift of two of our family's favorites:
    Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins (I think). board book version
    Red Hat, Blue Hat (I think) by Sandra Boynton
    We loved the first for the rhythm it draws you into. We love the second one because of its simple humor. I think babies and toddlers also benefit from a good animal picture book.
    I've bookmarked your blog. I'll enjoy reading your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, Susan. Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love "Little Blue Truck" around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one! I'm looking that one up. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete