Saturday, October 16, 2010

Five-year-old children

I'm on a campaign to refer to "Kindergarteners" as what they are: five-year-old children. Not students, pupils, or class members, but five-year-old children. "First graders," likewise, are not that if I had my way, but rather six-year-old children. I think calling them so makes it easier to remember both that they are whole people, interested in and capable of a range of human activities--not just academic ones, and that they are very, very young.

2 comments:

  1. I agree - it is important to remember that children are more than just students! Five years old is so young still!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll join your campaign if you'll join mine to stop people from refering to "art projects" and have them call them "art activities".It's all about intent.

    ReplyDelete